early student group

Names Across the Landscape

Previous | Up | Next

Edwin A. Greenlaw (1874-1931) and Greenlaw Hall

UNC Chapel Hill Facilities Services
North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives

The building was completed in 1970 and named for Edwin A. Greenlaw, who joined the faculty as an English professor in 1913. A distinguished scholar who studied Edmund Spenser, Greenlaw was among the first group of faculty chosen for Kenan professorships. He served as graduate school dean from 1920 to 1925, during which time the university became a member of the Association of American Universities, an honor reserved for top research universities.  He worked to secure more library resources, recruited Frederick Koch to teach playwriting, and helped create the University of North Carolina Press.  He resigned in 1925 to teach at Johns Hopkins University.