early student group

Names Across the Landscape

Previous | Up | Next

Major Charles Gerrard (d. 1797) and Gerrard Hall

North Carolina Collection Photographic Archives

Major Charles Gerrard gave lands to the university that were sold to complete construction of this building. First called New Chapel, Gerrard Hall served as a chapel and assembly hall for many years. Construction began in 1822 but stopped when funds ran out. To complete the building, the trustees sold land in Tennessee that Gerrard had received as a reward for his military service during the American Revolution and later left to the university in a bequest. Initially completed in 1837, Gerrard Hall was renovated in 2007 with its Greek Revival portico restored.