early student group

Names Across the Landscape

Previous | Up | Next

The Old Well, 1897

Jennifer Krause UNC Chapel Hill

The university’s signature structure is not a building but a small neoclassical structure placed over a well between Old East and Old West and in front of South Building. University president Edwin Alderman added it in 1897 as part of a campus beautification effort. He found the well’s original wooden cover shabby and ordered it replaced with a rotunda modeled after the Temple of Love at Versailles.