American Indian Center
In 2006, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill created the American Indian Center, one of the only places on the East Coast to focus solely on American Indian issues and research. The center’s projects will include:
- a leadership institute for tribal leaders;
- partnerships among faculty members, student researchers, and native communities;
- support for native perspectives and cultures in research projects;
- sponsorship of learning opportunities about Indian cultures, histories and perspectives; and
- inclusion of native peoples and perspectives in campus dialogues.