The Consolidated University
In 1931, the General Assembly voted to combine the three main state-supported colleges into the Consolidated University of North Carolina. Graham accepted the presidency of this new institution, which included Chapel Hill, the Woman's College in Greensboro, and the North Carolina State College of Agriculture and Engineering in Raleigh. Once Graham assumed the new position, the trustees elected Robert B. House to head the Chapel Hill campus. House remained its top administrator until his retirement in 1957.