Skip to main content
Carolina Story: Virtual Museum of University History

The Old Well

The Temple of Love, Versailles (1775) Old Well (1897)

The university’s signature structure is not an academic building but a small neoclassical structure placed over a well between Old East and Old West and in front of South Building. University president Edwin Alderman added the domed Old Well in 1897 as part of a campus beautification effort. He found the well’s original wooden cover shabby and ordered it replaced with a rotunda modeled in part after the Temple of Love at Versailles.