The Institute of Government
Albert Coates was another professor hired in the 1920s who devoted his career to public service. After graduating from Chapel Hill and the Harvard Law School, Coates returned to the university in 1923 as professor of law. In 1931, he created the Institute of Government, an extensive training, consulting, and research organization. Serving North Carolina's six hundred county and municipal governments, the institute's faculty offers programs for a wide array of elected local officials.