Grave marker in Old Chapel Hill Cemetery for college servants
The university's antebellum public spaces, streets, and buildings carry the names of whites, many of whom were slave owners. However, the graveyard near the new Playmakers Theatre contains a monument dedicated to three slaves, including November and Wilson Caldwell. Ironically, this obelisk once honored a president of the university, Joseph Caldwell, who had owned November Caldwell. When trustees commissioned a new monument for the president in 1904, they moved the old one to the graveyard and rededicated to the slaves.