Dr. Richard H. Whitehead in apron and anatomy class, 1890
The university ended the two-year program when Dr. Harris left for private practice. In 1890, it revived a private arrangement for medical education under Dr. Richard H. Whitehead. In 1901, when President Francis Venable reorganized the university, he made the medical school an official part of the university and appointed Whitehead its first dean. It continued to offer a two-year program only.