Edward Vernon Howell (1872-1931)
Before the 1890s, pharmacy had been taught the same way as medicine and law—privately and independently of the university. President Venable ended this informal arrangement in 1901 and created a pharmacy school within the university, with E. Vernon Howell as its first dean. For many years, this was the state's only university training program for pharmacists. During his tenure as dean, Howell worked to enhance professional standards for the state's pharmacists.