Richard M. Whitehead, M.D. (1865-1916), Dean of the Medical School, 1890-1905
To meet the need for a four-year medical school, the university opened a department in Raleigh in 1902. Students took classes in Chapel Hill for two years and then transferred to Raleigh, where local doctors provided clinical training for the last two years. In eight years, this school graduated almost eighty students, but it closed in 1910 because it lacked the funds to earn national accreditation. Medical education reverted to a two-year program and remained on campus.