Dean Elizabeth Kemble and School of Nursing faculty, 1950s
North Carolina opened its first state-supported School of Nursing at the university in 1951, under Dean Elizabeth Kemble. The National League for Nursing accredited its undergraduate program in 1955 and the graduate program in 1961. The opening of the Nursing School gave freshman women from beyond the local area their first opportunity to enroll at the Chapel Hill campus. It would be ten years before another program admitted them.