University Women's Club, 1907
In 1906, female students formed the University Women's Club to promote their interests on campus. The university did not allow them to participate in regular organizations but segregated them into all-female groups. For example, women had their own honors committee and student council. The first two sororities appeared in 1923, but a third did not come to campus until 1939. National sororities refused to approve chapters for Chapel Hill because the university severely restricted female admissions.