Billboard for the Good Health Plan
During World War II, North Carolina led the nation in the number of men rejected for military service because of poor health. Alarmed by this statistic, Governor J. Melville Broughton commissioned a study in 1944. It recommended a significant expansion of state funding for health care. Key to this improvement was the transformation of the university’s two-year medical school into a full four-year program. To help train more physicians, the commission recommended building a teaching hospital on campus. To build support for this proposal, state leaders organized the Good Health Plan in 1945, and university president Frank Porter Graham lobbied for it across the state.