Summer school students of 1912
In 1877, Battle set up a summer school for training teachers, which operated intermittently for several decades. This program strengthened the university's association with public school reform, a movement led by such alumni as Charles B. Aycock, Edwin A. Alderman, and Charles Duncan McIver. The summer program proved to be popular and offered women the first chance to register at the university. The Department of Pedagogy was established in 1885, adding education to the university’s training options. The administration renamed it the School of Education in 1913.