Skip to main content
Carolina Story: Virtual Museum of University History

Charlie Justice in Action

In 1924, Trinity College changed its name to Duke University and became Carolina’s archrival in football. Duke’s longtime head coach Wallace Wade brought growing intensity to these games. After a donation from former football player William Rand Kenan, Jr., Carolina played its first game in Kenan Stadium in 1927. From 1946 to 1949, Carolina compiled a record of 32-9-2 and played in three bowl games. They were coached by Carl Snavely and led on the field by running back Charles “Choo Choo” Justice and receiver Art Weiner.