Memorial to Founding Trustees
This 19-foot monument on the north side of Person Hall honors the 55 members of UNC's first Board of Trustees, listed on a bronze plaque, who governed the University from 1789 to 1795. A bronze profile of William Richardson Davie tops the marble obelisk, which is flanked by blocks of marble that serve as benches. The monument was conceived and funded by Thomas S. Kenan III and family members in memory of their ancestor General James Kenan. It was dedicated during UNC’s bicentennial celebration in 1995.