William B. Aycock (1915-2015) and the Aycock Family Medicine Center
The William B. Aycock Family Medicine Center, which was completed in 1990, honors the former chancellor and law school professor. Born in 1915, Aycock earned a masters degree in history from Carolina in 1937 and then taught in the Greensboro public schools and worked for the National Youth Administration. During World War II, he served as an infantry battalion commander in Europe, where he was awarded the Bronze Star, the Silver Star and the Legion of Merit. After the war, Aycock entered the law school, finished first in the 1948 graduating class, and served as editor of the law review. Aycock joined the law school faculty and served as special assistant to Frank P. Graham on the United Nations Mission for India and Pakistan. In 1957, Aycock became chancellor and oversaw an expanding campus until 1964, when he returned to teaching law. He retired in 1984.