Katherine Kennedy Carmichael (1912-1982) and Carmichael Residence Hall
The university named this residence hall—completed in 1986—for English professor and the first dean of women, Katherine Kennedy Carmichael. As dean from 1946 to 1972, she oversaw significant expansion in the number of female students and worked to protect and encourage them. Increased enrollment led to a shortage of women’s dormitory rooms, a problem that persisted throughout her years as dean. She also supervised a complex web of regulations governing women's activities that grew controversial during the 1960s. In the early 1970s, the university finally abolished rules enforcing ladylike behavior, curfew hours, and appropriate dress.