John C. Brauer (d. 1971) and Brauer Hall
In 1969, the university named the dental school building for John C. Brauer, its first dean. Selected to start the dental school in 1950, Brauer specialized in pediatric dentistry and taught at a number of prestigious medical schools before coming to Carolina. Brauer began instruction before the dental school buildings were completed, so the first classes were held in two World War II Quonset huts. By the time he retired in 1966, the school had become one of the top five dental schools in the country and remains in that position today.