George Peabody (1795-1869) and Peabody Hall
Completed in 1913, this building has always housed the School of Education. The university named it for George Peabody, a philanthropist who supported public education in the South. Peabody was a dry goods merchant and banker who made his fortune in Baltimore and London. His donations set a pattern followed by businessmen Andrew Carnegie and John D. Rockefeller. Needing a facility for training teachers, President Francis Venable secured $40,000 from the Peabody Fund with the stipulation that the University donate $10,000 annually for its support.