Giles Foushee Horney (1908-1986) And the Horney Building
In 1981, the university named the building used by the physical plant for Giles F. Horney, who worked to develop the campus for forty-four years, twenty-nine of which he was Superintendent of Buildings and Grounds. He came to work for the university in 1927 and earned a degree in electrical engineering in 1931 while he continued on the staff. He especially was devoted to campus beautification and oversaw the installation of brick sidewalks during the 1950s. He is remembered for personally monitoring the campus’s condition every morning.