Skip to main content
Carolina Story: Virtual Museum of University History

Mary Lily Kenan Flagler Bingham (1867-1917) and Kenan Residence Hall

Mary Lily Kenan Flagler Bingham (1867-1917) Kenan Residence Hall, completed 1939

This residence hall was completed in 1939 and named for Mary Lily Kenan Flagler Bingham. In 1917, she donated $75,000 per year to pay competitive salaries to professors, a donation that helped the university move into the ranks of the nation’s leading colleges. Like her brother, William Rand Kenan, Jr., she respected the family's association with the university, which dates back to the 1790s.