David St. Pierre DuBose (1898-1994) and Valinda Hill DuBose and the DuBose Home
The DuBose Home is located at the Meadowmont complex off Highway 54 east of Chapel Hill. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, it is now the dining center for the business school’s executive education program. During the eighteenth and nineteenth centuries, this tract was part of a larger plantation owned by Christopher Barbee. In the early 1790s, Barbee gave two hundred acres to the new university, land that today makes up the central campus. He and other family members are buried on the Meadowmont property. In 1988, David St. Pierre DuBose, a 1921 Carolina graduate, donated a thirty-four room mansion he built on this land to the university. DuBose’s wife was Valinda Hill DuBose, daughter of John Sprunt Hill and sister of George Watts Hill, Sr. John Sprunt Hill built the Carolina Inn and donated it to the university; a gift from George Watts Hill, Sr., helped make possible the building of the Hill Alumni Center.