Skip to main content
Carolina Story: Virtual Museum of University History

William Rand Kenan, Jr. (1872-1965) and Kenan Stadium

Completed in 1927, Kenan Stadium was built in a natural amphitheatre south of Polk Place. Continuing his family’s long association with the university, William Rand Kenan, Jr., donated the stadium as a memorial to his parents, William Rand and Mary (Hargrove) Kenan. The university held a dedication ceremony on Thanksgiving Day, November 24, 1927, at the UNC vs. University of Virginia football game, which the home team won 14 to 13.