John Grover Beard (1888-1946) and Beard Hall
In 1959, the university honored John Grover Beard by naming a new pharmacy building after him. Immediately after graduating from Carolina in 1909, he became an instructor in the pharmacy school, where he taught until his death in 1946. He served as dean from 1930 to1946. In addition to his faculty responsibilities, he held numerous positions with state and national pharmacy associations and lobbied for raising licensing standards.