Royce W. Murray (1937- ) and Murray Place
The quadrangle in the new science complex is named for chemistry professor Royce Murray. A native of Alabama, Murray came to Carolina to teach analytical chemistry in 1960, just after receiving his doctorate from Northwestern. His research and publications have made Carolina’s analytical chemistry program one of the best in the nation. He specializes in electrochemistry and the chemistry of new materials. He introduced the concept of chemically-modified electrodes, tools that are important as chemical sensors, fuel cells and in solar energy conversion. He also has done research in electron transfer kinetics and catalysis, solid-state electrochemistry, and nanostructures. He is a Kenan professor and won UNC’s Thomas Jefferson Award in 2001 for his leadership. He is a member of the National Academy of Sciences; a Fellow of the American Academy of Arts and Sciences and the American Association for the Advancement of Science; and the editor of the scientific journal Analytical Chemistry.