Blyden (1910-2000) and Roberta Jackson (1920-1999) and Jackson Hall
Blyden and Roberta Jackson Hall houses the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. This is the former Monogram Building and Navy Hall; it dates from 1942 when the U.S. Navy constructed it for students in its pre-flight training program. The university renamed it in 1992. Blyden Jackson, who joined the English department in 1969, became the university’s first tenured black professor; his wife, Roberta Jackson, joined the faculty in 1974 as an associate professor in the School of Education and became the first tenured black woman in the Division of Academic Affairs. The Jacksons retired from teaching in 1981.