Skip to main content
Carolina Story: Virtual Museum of University History

New East, 1859

New East (1821)

When student enrollment increased during the 1850s, the university expanded its dormitory space by erecting two buildings, New East and New West, on either side of the first residence halls, Old East and Old West. These buildings also contained classrooms and meeting rooms for the debating societies. Architect William Percival balanced the two in height, giving an extra story to New East, due to the sloping nature of the campus downward from west to east.