Old West, 1823
William Nichols, one of the first trained architects to work in North Carolina, designed the Old West dormitory. It matched the university’s first residence hall, Old East. Nichols added a story to Old East to make it the same height as Old West. In 1844, architect Alexander J. Davis lengthened the building and on its north end attached a façade with windows and pilasters.